Daily | Interviews | Scorsese, Hertzfeldt, Bong

Mark Rylance in 'Wolf Hall'

Mark Rylance in ‘Wolf Hall’

Tomorrow night’s a big one on television. PBS will begin broadcasting the BBC‘s adaptation of Hilary Mantel’s Tudor novels, Wolf Hall (2009) and Bring Up the Bodies (2012) and, as you may have heard, Mad Men starts its final lap. Movie City News points us to GQ‘s massive profile of Wolf Hall star Mark Rylance and the New York Times has been talking with Matthew Weiner about the real-life cultural milestones of the Mad Men years.

As it happens, the Paris Review has interviewed both Mantel and Weiner. Non-subscribers can at least peek at Mona Simpson‘s conversation with Mantel, which appears in the current issue, and the entirety of Semi Chellas‘s talk with Weiner from the Spring 2014 issue is online. Which got me thinking, Why not post a reminder of the riches of that archive? Of course, all the Paris Review interviews are worth our while, but here are a few of immediate interest to cinephiles (along with the year of publication).

While we’re on a TV kick, for the New York Times Magazine, Lili Loofbourow profiles Tatiana Maslany, who, on Orphan Black, portrays a seemingly ever-expanding set of cloned sisters, “the punk-rock con artist, Sarah; the shrewish suburban housewife, Alison Hendrix; the geeky stoner, Cosima Niehaus; the Ukrainian psychopath, Helena; the icily aloof career woman, Rachel Duncan; the pill-popping cop, Elizabeth Childs; and many others — encompassing almost every trope women get to play in Hollywood and on TV.”

For the Hollywood Reporter, Jordan Riefe talks with Claudia Cardinale about working with Fellini on and Visconti on The Leopard—”at the same time”!—and about acting alongside Marcello Mastroianni, Burt Lancaster and Klaus Kinski.

Interview‘s posted David Ansen‘s 1987 conversation with Martin Scorsese and Vulture‘s Bilge Ebiri‘s got a new one: “Emailing from Taipei (where he’s working on his latest film, Silence), Scorsese reflected on the experience of shooting Taxi Driver during one particularly grisly summer in New York City.”

“Over the past decade and change, Don Hertzfeldt has quietly, tirelessly asserted himself as America’s most insatiably imaginative animator,” writes Charles Bramesco, introducing his interview at the Dissolve. Now that Hertzfeldt’s latest, World of Tomorrow, has collected an armful of awards, it’s available for rent at Vimeo.

At the Film Stage, Jordan Raup talks with Hertzfeldt about “his first foray into digital animation and how it fit within his story, working on multiple projects at once, collaborating with his niece for voice acting, the current state of independent animation, a potential sequel, what’s in store next for the director, digital distribution, and much more.” And in a piece on Hertzfeldt at Movie Mezzanine, Tom Clift writes: “I can think of no writer-director alive who demonstrates more ambition or obsessive commitment to his work, or who speaks in such a distinctive and (seemingly) personal voice.”

A BBC interview with Orson Welles in 1960

The Jacob Burns Film Center in Pleasantville, New York has just completed a retrospective of films by Bong Joon-ho, and it was there that Diva Vélez saw a black-and-white version of Mother (2009). For Twitch, she asks Bong about the experiment, about producing Haemoo directed by his Memories of Murder (2003) co-writer Shim Sung-bo (he says he’ll never produce again) and, of course, about future projects. There are two in the works, but he’s just completed the first draft on one, an original story: “40% of the shooting is in New York, the other 60% is in South Korea.”

At Slant, Mark Lukenbill talks with Olivier Assayas about Clouds of Sils Maria, “what draws him to actresses like [Kristen] Stewart and why modern indie rock bores him to death.”

For Film International, Paul Risker talks with Pascal Chind’s about Extrême Pinocchio (2014), “which took top awards at the Reel East Film Festival and others around the globe.”


The latest episode of The Close-Up is a two-parter, with Noah Baumbach first discussing When We’re Young just a few weeks ago and then talking with Brian De Palma in 2012 (102’49”).

Episode 284 of Filmwax Radio has Adam Schartoff talking with Olivier Assayas, plus: “Kieran Turner discusses his new doc Jobriath, A.D. about the glam rock star, aka The American Bowie…. Last up are filmmaker Brane Bala and actor/musician Milan Mumin with their film Love Hunter.”

For news and tips throughout the day every day, follow @KeyframeDaily. Get Keyframe Daily in your inbox by signing in at

Did you like this article?
Give it a vote for a Golden Bowtie


Keyframe is always looking for contributors.

"Writer? Video Essayist? Movie Fan Extraordinaire?

Fandor is streaming on Amazon Prime

Love to discover new films? Browse our exceptional library of hand-picked cinema on the Fandor Amazon Prime Channel.